Nemo Says: This is important to me. I hope it spreads globally. When my in-laws came to visit for my wedding, they rented a house they weren't happy with. I won't go into the details, but they left a negative review on a travel website, and it culminated with the landlord making phone calls to physically threaten my mother in law and my husband and to threaten to sue. I reported him to the local police because he owns the house near where we live, and he knows our surname, so he could feasibly track us down, even though he doesn't live in the same country. All of this over one negative review! PROTECT THE REVIEWERS.

This is such great news! If a business tries to fine you over a negative review, California will give them a $10,000 fine right back.

If you’re a business owner with a thin skin in California, you’re about to have a bad time.

The state has had problems with businesses requiring customers to agree not to say anything negative about them online. But this week, California Governor Jerry Brown has signed into law a state bill that cracks down on the controversial practice.

“No consumer should ever face penalties for voicing their opinions on the services or products they have purchased, and California law is now clear that no company has the ability to silence consumers,” Assemblyman John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles), a sponsor of the bill, said in a statement.

Read full article: Negative online reviews are now protected by law in California

Reblogged from Karlynp & The Doggone World
Source: http://www.dailydot.com/politics/california-non-disparage-online-review-law-yelp