The Winner's Curse (Winner's Trilogy, #1) - Marie Rutkoski Unearthly  - Cynthia Hand Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Bloodlines: The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead Stormdancer  - Jay Kristoff

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski is currently on its way to me thanks to The Book Depository.

I NEVER pre-order books from an author I've not read before. I think I've pre-ordered maybe half a dozen books in my life. I'm just too wary that even with an author I love, there will be books I'm not so keen on, and I make it my mission to only read books I think have a very good potential to be 5 stars. I hate wasting my time on anything else.

In case you missed the hype, The Winner's Curse has been favourably reviewed (and fangirled over) by many of the big names in YA book blogging, including a good number of my friends whose taste in literature I trust. From what I can gather whilst avoiding spoilers, it seems to be some sort of fantasy or historical YA with a gloriously written romance. I don't know much beyond that, which makes it even weirder that I pre-ordered it in hardcover, because that's how sure I am that I'm going to love it and treasure it.

(I do consider YA fantasy with female leads my particular passion, but I'm not sure if this is fantasy or just historical, which is another one of my recent passions.)

I spiralled into a depression when I realised all the big name blogs were getting advanced galleys at BEA. I cried when I heard about the 100 book giveaway on Netgalley that I was too busy sleeping through to act on. I've been silently scowling and hating (jk) everyone who's already read it. Every extra 5 stars it gets has been a hit to me right in the jealousy feels. Never has NOT getting a book before release day made me feel quite to inadequate.

There have been a few hyped books I can recall that were totally worth it. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand was one. I went into it wary and totally fell in love. Lauren DeStefano's Wither was another. And unexpected delight.

There have been a few where I sit there going "What did I miss?" The Fault in Our Stars. The Golden Lily. Stormdancer.

Whilst I don't read every hyped book, I do read some of them. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes it's not.

I'll admit, I'm nervous. I didn't shell out a huge amount of dollars for the book, but I've never bought myself a hardcover from an unknown author. Normally I make other people buy them for me.

So:

• Pre-order
  • from a previously unread author
  • in hardcover

I've never done this before. Let's hope it's worth it.