The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) - Aimee Carter
See this review and more on The Moonlight Library!Kate bargains her own life to save another, and to keep her end of the deal she must undertake a series to tests to see if she is worthy of being the new queen of the Underworld in this Gothic retelling of the myth of Persephone and Hades.Reasons why I liked this book:1) Henry! *swoon*2) I thought it would be based in the Underworld but it was based in a big huge house in some kind of limbo-land, and that made it much more Gothic, and boy, do I love Gothic!3) Kate. I suppose she was OK. She was better than most YA heroines. She actually had a spine and stood up to beings infinitely more powerful than her. She was sassy and smart-mouthed and I loved the way she fell in love with Henry.Reasons why I disliked this book1) Casually slut-shaming the goddamned goddess of fucking sexual love for fuck’s sake.2) The gods could take mortal bodies then die and come back to limbo but if they died in limbo they went to the Underworld where Henry could bring them back and for some reason this was a HUGE DEAL and somehow all the gods were in limbo even though they’re technically not alive nor dead because they’re immortal and just GAH! MAKE SENSE, DAMN IT. Also, Henry could bring one god back to life but not another. Because that makes sense. Not.3) Zeus said the gods "do not abide by lust." Zeus. The motherfucker who turned into a fucking golden shower and impregnated Danae with Perseus. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. The dude who turned into a swan and raped Leda, mother of Helen of Troy and Castor (twin brother to Pollux) who incidentally are the main gods in The Goddess Hunt, so they fucking exist and the swan thing actually happened.Reasons why I was 'meh' about this book:1) If the tests were so non-life threatening and Kate didn’t even know when she was being tested, then that means that the other girls died by OTHER CAUSES, NOT from the tests. The blurb made it sound like the other girls failed and the tests might actually be difficult.2) The murderer? Totally saw it coming. You only have several thousand years’ worth of myths and gods to work with. If you can’t guess who the villain is simply by looking at the who-is-who page at the back of the book, then you’re failing.3) Kate didn’t seem interested in learning who the gods actually were. Hey, that might have made the novel a lot shorter!I would have liked this more if the tests weren’t:a) Christian-basedb) Kate living her everyday life and being virtuous and kind rather than actual tests where she had to actually do something. Because that’s what I thought I was going to be reading. There was a big deal made out of these tests (it’s in the title, for fuck’s sake) and then nothing happens. I was hoping it would be more like Throne of Glass, with actual challenges and winning and losing.MISSING OR DELETED SCENES:1) My version of this book was missing the scene where Walter was introduced. Kate wakes up and is all like, "Everyone was here, including Walter." And then doesn't say who Walter is or why he's relevant And I'm like 'Who's Walter'? except I knew, because I'd looked in the back of the book at the list of gods. But I mean, he wasn't introduced, nor was it explained what he looked like. I imagined him as another young tormented teen like the rest of the immortal gang, but in Goddess Interrupted it turns out he deliberately makes himself look older because he likes to look 'distinguished.' And I mean, Walter? Walter? Really? Yeesh.2) Also, in my book there was a deleted scene where Kate was caught making out with Dylan, because that’s the only explanation for why, after Dylan only helped Kate to her feet, several scenes Ava was suddenly all like:Because that’s the women of the novel’s only response to Kate, apparently.