Girls Made of Snow and Glass - Melissa Bashardoust

I’m so torn about how I feel about this audiobook.

It was just. So. LONG.

But then, every word was worth it?

So how can I say, maybe it would have been better if it was split in half and delivered in two novels when I freaking hate when authors do that.

But I had like 5 hours left and Lynet was due to confront her stepmother after fleeing the castle and I’m like… how is this going to stretch out to 5 hours?

And then there was 2 hours left and I was like… OMG STILL! WHEN WILL IT END?

But as I was actually listening to it, I really enjoyed it.

What is up with that, weirdly long novel?

13 hours! For a Snow White retelling with hints of Maleficent, Wicked, and The Snow Child.

It seemed like FOREVER.

And the hardcover on Goodreads says it’s only 384 pages?

But Frost Like Night was nearly 500 pages and its audiobook was only like 8.5 hours.

Howwwwwww

But it was really good.

I don’t know what The Bloody Chamber is (sounds like a horror movie) but I can see where the marketing angle for comparisons to Frozen come in. Frozen took the basis of The Snow Queen’s fairytale and twisted it to make sense for a story about sisters, and in the same way, you can recognise the elements of Snow White in GMOS&G that makes it really enjoyable when something familiar pops up, or what gets twisted into something more original. I was even thinking that Donkeyskin might have been a bit of an influence, because Lynet’s father King Nicholas was suuuuper creepy and way too into his daughter being exactly like his wife.

I found GMOS&G to be really original when it came to everything else except the bare bones of the plot. The setting, worldbuilding, and characters were complex and interesting. Mina wasn’t just an evil stepmother, and Lynet wasn’t just an innocent girl, the victim of beauty. Mina had many layers to her, a depth that you rarely find in fairytale retellings. And Lynet wasn’t just beautiful, she was a mirror image of her mother, which meant that her beauty wasn’t her own…

I really enjoyed GMOS&G and I’m really glad I decided to listen to it. If you like long fantasy novels, stories about strong, amazing women, or fairytale retellings, I recommend you give it a go.